Phlebotomist Lab Assistant FT Evenings
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes Shawnee Mission Medical Center, SMH – Overland Park and SMH – Prairie Star. The 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have 10 Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 70 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care and Spira Care locations.
You will be responsible for:
- Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment and follows established chemical hygiene and biohazard protocols.
- Collects specimens from patient using age-appropriate techniques; labels and prepares specimens for transport; performs related data entry functions in a careful and timely fashion with scrupulous attention to identification and handling.
- Receives, evaluates, & solves problems related to specimen collection & processing, ensuring specimen integrity, so that quality results are obtained.
- Performs waived testing according to established procedures.
- Accurately reports test results.
- Recognizes critical results & documents action taken according to established policies.
- Organizes & prioritizes workflow to meet established turnaround times.
- Uses the LIS efficiently to register patients, order tests & obtain information, in keeping with established protocols.
- Recognizes that the attainment of knowledge is every employee’s responsibility & accepts accountability for staying current on all written or electronic communication.
- Enhances technical & professional knowledge in one or more aspects of laboratory medicine by participation in mandatory & continuing education opportunities.
- Recognizes and supports cost-effective ideas and initiatives.
- Maintains appropriate level of inventory and stock within the draw stations.
- Maintain all patient information files related to phlebotomy services; updating as needed.
- Understands & utilizes department resources, including department manuals, administrative policy manuals, safety manuals, MSDS & reference material.
What will you need?
- Phlebotomy skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Computer skills
- High School Diploma of Equivalent
- Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School Preferred
- 1 to 2 Years of Position-Related Experience Preferred
- Phlebotomy Technician Certification PBT(ASCP) (American Society for Clinical Pathology) or equivalent Preferred