Certified Medical Office Assistant Ellijay Orthopedics Full Time
The Certified Medical Assistant works under the direct supervision of the physician, mid-level licensed provider, and in cooperation with other office staff in assisting with safe and effective patient care in compliance with established standards and protocols of Gordon Physicians Group, Gordon Hospital, and Adventist Health Systems’ goals and objectives.
Responsible for routine back office functions including the maintenance of patient flow, exam room preparation and turnover, bringing patients back to exam room, taking and recording basic medical history, and assisting the physicians and/or nurse as needed.
- Places the patients in the examining room ensuring they are as comfortable as possible.
- Performs EHR intake entry by going over medication lists, allergies, and other pertinent information required by the provider. Obtains vital signs, secures complaint, and enters the information into patient’s electronic medical record.
- Assists Physicians/Providers with examination and treatment of patient and is always accessible to them.
- Assists physicians and/or PA/CNP in office surgeries using appropriate sterile procedure guidelines to ensure non-contamination of sterile field. Sets up procedure equipment and/or appropriate procedure/surgical instrument tray.
- Performs phlebotomy and laboratory tests as required by the physicians or physician assistants and in accordance to state and federal regulations, including CLIA. Routinely reviews all policies and procedures regarding CLIA Waived testing. Passes all quality assurance protocols at directed by the CLIA, via the assigned Lab Director for the clinic in coordination with hospital lab services and quality control requirements.
- Screens telephone calls for the Physicians/Providers. Takes accurate clinical messages within the limits of her knowledge and practice policy. May answer routine patient inquiries with respect to medical questions within the limits of knowledge, as directed by Physician/Provider, and clinic policy.
- Performs triage duties according to practice protocols and as scheduled by the Clinical Supervisor.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent and graduation from a vocational or other technical school with training or apprenticeship.
- BLS/CPR certification is required.
- Certification as medical assistant required through CMS recognized certification organization such the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) or American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- Use of Computers, telephone, fax machine, copier, stethoscope, EKG machine, pulse oximeter, oxygen devices, wheelchairs, stretchers, scales, glucose monitor, and other patient care equipment necessary to perform required duties as appropriate to the scope of the practice.
- Prefer Minimum six (6) months customer service experience in medical office. Proficiency must be attained via on-the-job training, and orientation, within 3 months
- Customer service skills preferred
- Medical terminology preferred