Surgical Tech Day Surgery PRN Days
Req #: 18000541
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Surgery
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Potential Referral Bonus: $
PRN, As Needed - Days
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.Qualifications
You Will Be Responsible For:
The Surgical Tech II (ST) is a select para-professional who is prepared to practice competent perioperative care of patients under the direct supervision of a qualified professional nurse within the context of an accountable work team. The ST is responsible and accountable to assist in planning, coordinating and implementing care of the surgical patient. At the discretion of the manager, the ST is cross-trained to assume all responsibilities pertaining to immediate surgical care.
- Prepare for surgical procedures using the surgeon preference card and obtain supplies and instruments for the procedure.
- Practice sterile and aseptic technique as demonstrated by proper surgical hand scrub, preparation of mayo stand, back table and other sterile surfaces including the draping of the patient.
- Safely manage instrumentation and equipment during the surgical procedure.
- Manage countable items on the surgical field so as to avoid retained surgical items.
- Perform post case clean up and proper care of instrumentation
- Perform patient care including but not limited to medication management on the sterile field, dressing application and assisting with positioning as needed.
- Practice professional accountability by teamwork practices, communication practices and obtaining information and skill when deficits are recognized.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- No Previous Experience Required
- BLS through American Heart Association with at least 6 months valid upon hire required
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) Preferred