Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant PT Days
Part-time / Days
Part-time / Days
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
As the largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes three campuses; Shawnee Mission Medical Center (SMMC) in Merriam, SMH - Prairie Star in Lenexa, and our newest campus: SMH - Overland Park at 159th and Antioch. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally-recognized. We have eleven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as four Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.
- Maintains a professional team relationship with co-workers by being considerate of workloads, assisting with duties, and being supportive toward their continued growth.
- Punctual with returning pages and phone calls, and for scheduled work hours, meetings, and patient treatments.
- Maintains a good attendance record.
- Communication and motivational techniques are age appropriate.
- Communicates honestly and confronts issues and problems in a private setting.
- Respects each discipline’s expertise and knowledge; doesn’t question someone’s expertise in front of the patient/family.
- Demonstrates and conveys a favorable image of the Medical Center.
- Obtains approval for treatment changes from referring physician.
- Obtains physician’s written prescription.
- Projects a positive image through high professional standards of conduct and appearance.
- Promotes the dignity of our customers by maintaining patient privacy.
- Maintains confidentiality of customers and other associates.
- Adheres to hospital and department policies.
- Utilizes modalities/procedures with knowledge of contraindications related to age and diagnosis.
- Communicates truthfully and considerately.
- Utilizes computer access confidentially, appropriately and following HIPAA guidelines.
- Incorporates patient, physician, customer needs and concerns into decision-making and organizational action.
- Provides patient treatments as specified by the O.T. in the treatment plan.
- Assists the O.T. in the provision of direct patient treatments.
- Maintains records pertinent to patient treatment, including daily progress/status reports.
- Communicates with physicians, families and rehab team staff members regarding patient status reports as appropriate.
- Participates in patient care conferences, rehabilitation team conferences, and represents Occupational Therapy at facility meetings.
- Discusses findings with patient, family and physician.
- Responsible to educate patients and/or their families in self-care, prevention, body mechanics, life style adaptation, posture, and ergonomics, as appropriate.
- Implements treatment using appropriate techniques within physician’s prescription.
- Completes all documentation in accordance with department practice, policy and procedures.
- Provides basic level patient care skills/procedures appropriately in a manner that takes into account the special needs of the patient; e.g., age, culture, learning ability, etc.
- Starts patient care on time.
- Provides educational inservices to the clinical staff after attendance at workshops and seminars.
- Participates in student supervision as indicated.
- Demonstrates the initiative to learn and applies new processes and procedures by attending inservices, pertinent continuing education seminars, and reading professional journals.
- Participates in planning programs for the department and the patients.
- Participates constructively in department inservices, meetings, and activities.
- Takes initiative to complete mandatory job requirements; assumes responsibility for role in Associate Achievement Review.
- Recommends discontinuation of treatment when functional goals are met, consulting with referring physician and/or O.T.
- Reports any equipment or maintenance problems to Facilities Management/Biomed, Rehab Coordinator, or Department Director.
- Obtains appropriate referrals/authorizations to assist the patient and secures reimbursement.
- Charges for patient treatment and supplies in an equitable manner.
- Maintains department standards for productivity.
- Positively impacts clinical, economic and customer satisfaction outcomes.
- Assists the patients to maximize their available resources; e.g., insurance coverage, supply and equipment resources.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and organize workload in an efficient and productive manner in the assigned work time.
- Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School
- No Previous Experience is Required
- Kansas License-Occupational Therapy Assistant
- AHA Healthcare Provider CPR
- 2 to 5 Years of Position-Related Experience Preferred
- EMR Knowledge Preferred
- Certified Driving Rehabilitation Specialist (CDRS) Preferred