Respiratory Therapist PRN Days or Nights
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Responsible for the safe and effective administration of medically prescribed medications, knowing their indications and contraindications.
· Knows and follows the indications and contraindications, the policy and procedures in administering therapeutic modalities to include: PAP, IS, USN, HHN.
· Sets up and monitors oxygen administration.
· Sets up oxygen cylinders and assures proper usage and safety measures are in place.
· Performs bedside spirometry tests. May be requested to perform test in PFT lab following adequate training and/or orientation.
· Performs arterial punctures using radial, brachial, and femoral sites independently. Draws off arterial lines to obtain sample for blood gas analysis.
· Be a member of the “code team” responding to arrest situations. As part of the team may be expected to perform CPR (compression).
· Sets up requested hemodynamic lines, calibrates monitors, and troubleshoots any problems that may occur.
· Performs all aspects of artificial airway care. Able to perform deep blind tracheal suctioning on patients.
· Daily/weekly preventative maintenance and calibration, quality assurance of ABG analyzers.
· Familiar with oxygen delivery systems (i.e. Nasal cannula, Venturi mask, non-rebreather).
· Familiar with measuring devices to include, but not limited to, pulse oximeter, Wrights respirometer, oxygen blenders.
· Responsible for the set-up, safety check, monitoring, and troubleshooting of mechanical ventilators.
· Familiar with CPAP set-up and administration of CPAP.
· Performs quality EKG’s according to departmental standards
· Maintains accurate and legible records, documenting clinical notes in patient’s charts.
· Participation in reporting patient progress, and prioritizing patient condition to the next shift.
· Proper documentation in department records. Participates in staff meetings, attends lectures, conferences and seminars.
· Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job-related hazards.
· Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
· Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
· Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter and intra departmentally to facilitate the department’s/unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
· Proper time management for general floor therapy.
· Proper time management for critical care procedures/therapies.
· Demonstrates knowledge related to adult and neonatal ventilator management.
· Demonstrates time management and prioritization skills on a routine basis.
· Participates in respiratory care performance improvement program.
· Is BLS, ACLS, PALS, NRP certified and maintains certifications.
· Demonstrates accuracy in documentation for all respiratory care procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Three (3) years acute care hospital experience required.
· Graduate of an AMA accredited 2-year (AS degree) Respiratory Care Program
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· BS Preferred
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Must possess current state license (RRT) upon hire
· BLS required upon hire
· ACLS required upon hire
· NRP upon hire or within three (3) months of employment date
· PALS upon hire or within three (3) months of employment date