Phlebotomist Laboratory Assistant PRN
Req #: 17013610
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Job Category: Laboratory
Organization: Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel
Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel has provided faith-based, whole person care to the community since it opened in 2012. Every detail of our 83-bed facility is purposefully designed to create an environment of healing for mind, body and spirit. Our hospital is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment from outpatient services to our surgical suites and inpatient care. In 2013, we also opened a 50,000-square foot Health and Wellness Center that includes an indoor track, group exercise areas, and an aquatics center with a lap pool to help community members achieve optimal health. In August 2015, the hospital began construction on am expansion that will open in December of 2016, significantly increasing the number of inpatient beds, surgical suites, and emergency department rooms.
You will be responsible for:
- Demonstrate competency in blood collection procedures within the scope of practice. Provide all aspects of blood collection procedures based on established standards. Follows established procedures for patient and specimen identification.
- Adheres to hospital and department policies and procedures. Completes assigned policy and procedure review assignments in a timely manner. Complies with all applicable regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Performs specimen accessioning tasks for in-house and outreach clients. Ensures requisition and specimen documentation is satisfactory. Screens samples for specimen integrity. Processes and distributes samples to appropriate department.
- Organizes workflow to expedite the specimen collection process while correctly prioritizing activities. Meets established turnaround time target for stat and routine collections.
- Identifies specimen and/or requisition problems that may adversely affect test performance. Corrects or notifies appropriate technologist or supervisor if the problem cannot be resolved. Documents corrective actions taken to resolve the issue.
- Maintains a clean and stocked workstation, following infection control guidelines. Ensures department supply levels are maintained in a manner to reduce waste and avoid expenses for “rush” orders.
- Maintains competencies current for all assigned procedures. Completes assigned competency assessments in a timely manner.
- Provides orientation and training to new employees and phlebotomy students as needed, under the direction of the lab supervisor. Appropriately documents orientation and training of new employees and phlebotomy students.
- Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his or her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job‑related hazards.
- Follows the hospital exposure control plans/blood-borne and airborne pathogens.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
What will you need:
- Demonstrated technical skills and aptitudes related to blood collection.
- Basic computer and keyboarding skills.
- Ability and willingness to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible schedules, including nights, weekends, holidays, etc.
- Ability and willingness to adapt to change.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Vocational or other technical school, certification, training or apprenticeship required beyond high school.
- One year experience in a laboratory setting required or completion of an accredited phlebotomy training program.
- Three years of experience (Preferred)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Phlebotomy (PBT) Board of Certification or equivalent (Preferred)
- BLS (Preferred)